Dave brings an important blend of clinical, administrative and educational background to Maryland Recovery. His career has spanned four decades, starting in the early 80’s. He has trained under and worked for Father Joseph Martin the creator of the Chalk Talk and Co-Founder of Father Martin’s Ashely. Father Martin always mentioned and gave credit to his mentor Austin Ripley from Guest House in his lectures. Terence T. Gorski is president of CENAPS and clinical director of its Relapse Prevention Certification School has advised Dave and had a great influence on his understanding of the nature of addiction and the science behind the recovery process. Dave has learned from some of the best educators and leaders in the addiction field and has a core belief about the basic elements when treating a person suffering from this fatal progressive disease. He sums it up with five key points to provide successful treatment,
- Create an environment that is pleasant, safe and guided by a strong clinical component
- Treat each client and your staff with dignity and respect
- Use a holistic approach to treatment
- Educate about the disease of addiction
- Teach a person how to stay sober, let them practice that under your care, restore hope to them and their families
Dave holds a Bachelor of Science in Psychology from Towson University and an Advanced Master Certificate Lean Six Sigma from Villanova University. Dave also is a Certified Healthcare Quality Manager ( Diplomat) ABQARRP, Certified Clinical Supervisor Addiction Counseling in State of Maryland and continues to be involved with the Advisory Council for the Joint Commission Addiction Services.